Everyone at one time or another has taken a nasty fall and scraped their knee, or gotten a serious gash on their arm. Most people are even pretty confident treating minor cuts safely at home with a little anti-bacterial soap and ointment. However, some cuts are just too much to handle alone, like those requiring stitches, which is why it’s vital to know if your cut needs more serious medical attention.
When Should You Consider Stitches?
Anytime you have an open wound, it’s important to take a moment to really consider whether or not you should seek professional medical attention for stitches. For example, you will likely need stitches if:
- If your cut or wound is particularly deep, over half an inch long, has ragged edges, is gaping, or has/had debris in it;
- If you cannot stop the bleeding, or you’re bleeding through bandages after putting pressure directly on the wound for more than ten minutes;
- If your injury was caused by any kind of bite, anything dirty, or an object with a sharp point that could all cause infection;
- If your wound or cut is in or near a sensitive place on your body, such as your face, mouth, hands, eyes, joints, genitals, and more.
Different Types of Stitches
- Standard Sutures are what most people think of when they imagine getting stitches; and are used primarily to stitch together wounds that will likely take longer to heal, or those that may come into contact with blood vessels or muscle;
- Adhesive Tape is great for minor, low-tension wounds, keeping everything together and concealed until you’ve healed enough for the tape to just fall off naturally (which usually happens within ten days);
- Glue stitches rely on specially made tissue adhesive, and are especially useful for lacerations and wounds around the face and groin to reduce scarring and prevent infection.
Getting Stitched Up At AS Medical Group Madison Heights Urgent Care!
Have a serious cut, laceration, bite, or other open wound that you’d like to have checked out by a trusted, board-certified doctor? Stop by our convenient urgent care center, AS Medical Group Madison Heights Urgent Care, anytime. With no appointments needed, all insurances accepted, and Arabic and Chinese/Mandarin speaking practitioners on-site to ensure seamless communication, our urgent care center is fully equipped to handle any non-emergent situation that you might find yourself dealing with. Walk-Ins Welcome – No Appointment Needed! Call AS Medical Group Madison Heights Urgent Care at (248) 307-7796 or stop by, we are located at 32600 John R Rd. Madison Heights, MI 48071.